Contact The Council:
Tukwila City Council
6200 Southcenter Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Councilmember Kathy Hougardy
Council Position No. 2
Time on the Council: Elected in November 2007.
Education and Career: After attending Renton High School, Kathy graduated from Western Washington University with a degree in Visual Communications. Her career has included working as a marketing support representative and owning a small business. She taught Graphic Arts at Seattle Central Community College for 12 years.
Family: Kathy and her husband Ed moved from South Seattle to Tukwila in 1993. They have three sons; Andrew, a 2016 Foster High School graduate, Daniel, graduating from FHS in June 2019, and Timothy, who lives in Athens, Georgia.
Interests: Music, gardening and photography
- 2019 Tukwila City Council President
- Chair of the Soundside Alliance for Economic Development Board, and co-chair of the Highline Forum
- Member and past chair of the City of Tukwila Equity and Social Justice Commission
- Chair of the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
- Appointed to the Association of Washington Cities Educational Advisory Committee
- Member of the Metropolitan King County Regional Transit Committee; and South County Regional Transportation Board
- Member of the Seattle Southside Chamber of Commerce and the Tukwila Historical Society
- In 2009 re-started a Parent Group at Showalter Middle School which Kathy facilitated for six years. Before that she and her husband were active in the Tukwila PTA, and continue to volunteer within the school district
- Formerly served on the Tukwila Pantry Executive Advisory Board