COMMUTE TRIP REDUCTION (CTR) PROGRAM
We asked Tukwila which of the following programs/amenities they would like to see in their community, school, or place of employment. These results reflect the top programs or amenities that employers and facilities can provide to support their employees in making their commutes healthier and happier! Employers can do a lot to encourage their employees to choose alternative commute modes. If you need help setting up a program please contact us!
What is the CTR Program?
The Washington State Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) Program is a partnership of state and local governments, major employers, and other agencies to work toward reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The mandatory program strives to reduce traffic congestion, minimize energy consumption, and improve air quality by assisting employees at qualifying worksites to find alternate ways of getting to work besides driving alone.
Access to an efficient transportation system is fundamental for communities and employers to support livability as our region experiences rapid population growth. Our goal in Tukwila is to improve transportation systems by achieving a non-drive alone rate of 73% and reducing vehicle miles traveled to 14 miles per employee by 2020.
Basic Requirements for Employers
An employer with 100 or more employees who report to work at a single site between 6 and 9 a.m. is subject to the law. Some employers are considered affected by the ordinance as a condition of a City permit. Affected employers must:
- Appoint and maintain an individual to act as an Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC) for employees and to be the primary contact with the City. City ordinance requires training for new ETCs.
- Develop and promote a program that helps employees reduce drive-alone commute trips.
- Conduct a commute survey every two years to measure employees’ drive alone rates.
- Submit the program and survey’s to the City’s Employee Transportation Representative for review and approval once every two years.
- Exercise good faith effort by collaborating with the City in administration and implementation of the law.
Voluntary CTR Program
The City encourages all employers, private and public, who are not required to participate by law to voluntarily develop and participate in trip reduction programs. City assistance to develop a transportation demand program is available to all Tukwila employers. Opportunities to participate in many local transit and rideshare promotions are available—connect your employees with incentives and assistance in planning a smarter, less stressful commute!
For further information contact our Commute Trip Reduction Coordinator at (206) 433-7142
Tukwila CTR Documents
- RideshareOnline.com Reference Guide – for Administrators (ETCs)
- RideshareOnline.com Reference Guide – for Users (Employees)
- Tukwila’s Adopted CTR Plan (2008)
- Growth & Transportation Efficiency Plan for the Tukwila Urban Center (2007)
- City of Tukwila “Walk and Roll” Plan
- City of Tukwila CTR Ordinance #2201
- Summary of changes to the City of Tukwila CTR Ordinance #2201 (2008)
- CTR Implementation Plan Update 2011-2015
- CTR Implementation Plan Update 2015-2019