Parks & Recreation Dept.
12424 42nd Avenue South
Tukwila, WA 98168
Phone: 206 768-2822
Fax: 206 768-0524
What is the Healthy Tukwila project?
Healthy Tukwila was started in 2015 with a generous grant from Seattle-King County Public Health. The project builds upon efforts to create a healthy environment for everyone that lives, works and plays in Tukwila. Most recently the project’s focus has been on raising awareness of the harmful effects of sugar. Priorities have included creating a healthy food and beverage environment and developing fun yet educational activities for the community.
So, what is the BIG deal about sugar? Here are some basics:
- Check out this short, helpful video about sugar hiding in plain sight
- Added sugars are found in nearly ¾ of the items that are sold in grocery stores- even in foods you wouldn’t expect such as bread and pasta sauce
- Soft drinks are a prime source of extra calories that can contribute to weight gain and provide no nutritional benefits. They are coming under scrutiny for their contributions to the development of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions
- The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends limiting sugar to 5% of your daily calories
- This is about 25 grams per day (4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon
- In reality, the average American eats about 88 grams of added sugar per day- more than 3X what’s recommended!
- This adds up to over 70 pounds of sugar per year
Join US on the sugar journey:
- Subscribe to our Healthy Tukwila Newsletter: A once a month newsletter with GOOD to know information, HEALTHY Habits, and FUN community events. Subscribe by emailing HealthyTukwila@Tukwilawa.gov
- “Like” the Tukwila Parks & Recreation page on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram. We want to hear from you! This is a great way to stay connected to the community, and to share your own photos and ideas with us
- Send us your feedback. If there are health and fitness related topics that you would like us to cover in the newsletter, on social media, or on Tukwila Community Center bulletin boards, let us know! We can be reached at HealthyTukwila@tukwilawa.gov