Community Leadership Initiative Program
Are you a community leader committed to improving your Tukwila Community?
Would you like to learn more about how local government works and decisions are made?
Interested in being part of a board/commission and the role it plays in the Tukwila Community?
Then this program might be for you!
COME LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CITY OF TUKWILA
COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP INITIATIVE PROGRAM
Though learning, community-building, and understanding how local government impacts your community, you will be able to advocate for change that helps all Tukwila communities thrive.
To elevate, develop and support Tukwila community leaders. This program will incorporate a shared holistic approach, consisting of discussions of real-world lived experiences among Tukwila’s diverse community members. The program will provide the necessary tools to understand City services, policies and programs with an emphasis on professional and personal advocacy.
TCLI MISSION STATEMENT
The City of Tukwila Community Leadership Initiative (TCLI) program is a community-led program – supported by the City of Tukwila – to increase and build upon existing and future leaders in civic engagement, City services, policies and programs. We lead with an equity lens and embrace inclusivity for the betterment of Tukwila’s diverse community.
TCLI PROGRAM SPECIFICS
The TCLI committee has determined that a civic academy process – taking participants through various levels, functions and entry points of local government – is the best way to transform the program’s members. The goals are:
- to increase knowledge about how government works,
- to highlight opportunities in City services where individuals can get involved, and
- to show how participants can advocate for their respective Tukwila communities.
TCLI PROGRAM CALENDAR
- Informational sessions – Two sessions, virtual or in-person
June 25, 2022 | 2:00 to 4:00pm Community Corner Cafe (14350 Tukwila International Blvd) Teams Link
June 30, 2022 | 6:00 to 7:30pm Community Corner Cafe (14350 Tukwila International Blvd) Teams Link
- Applications due by: July 15, 2022, at 5:00pm
- Review of applications: during July 2022
- Participants to be notified on: July 22, 2022
- Program Orientation: August 11, 2022, 6:00 to 8:00pm
TCLI PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Attend at least one Informational Session
- Apply to TCLI (program allows 8–10 participants)
- Live, attend school, or work in the City of Tukwila
- Sign the City of Tukwila’s gift card documentation
- Attend each session to receive a gift card compensation
- Complete a survey following each session. (Survey process will allow TCLI committee and City staff to measure success and direction of program.)
TCLI EXPECTED OUTCOMES
- Participants will understand diverse perspectives as they relate to complex City projects, programs and services.
- Participants will demonstrate a long-term interest in local government, including volunteer service on boards, commissions or committees.
- Through their training and community collaboration, participants will exhibit initiative in their leadership roles, with results in civic engagement activities, relevant advocacy, and meaningful accomplishments.
Step 1: Attend an Informational Session
Step 2: Complete the application
Step 3: Remember, applications are due July 15, 2022, at 5:00pm. Mail applications to:
City of Tukwila
6200 Southcenter Boulevard
Tukwila, WA 98188
Or email application to Niesha.Fort-Brooks@TukwilaWA.gov
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Do you need assistance? Please contact Niesha at 206-406-6693 or email Niesha.Fort-Brooks@TukwilaWA.gov