6200 Southcenter Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 433-1850
US Census 2020
As mandated by the U.S. Constitution, the United States Census is conducted every ten years. The City’s goal is that all Tukwila residents – every single person, young or old, regardless of residential status – are counted in the 2020 Census!
2020 Census and Why it Matters:
Census information helps distribute billions of dollars in federal and non-profit funding to state and local governments. Accuracy is very important because those dollars can help Tukwila with:
• Forecasting future transportation needs for all segments of the population
• Determining areas eligible for housing assistance and rehabilitation loans
• Assisting local governments in planning and implementing programs, services and emergency responses.
• Designing facilities for people with disabilities, the elderly and children.
What to expect
- Letter of invitation from the Census Bureau to respond online or an invitation to complete the paper questionnaire
- Most communities in the country will be encouraged to respond online
- Communities that are less likely to respond online will receive a paper questionnaire along with invitation
- Households that do not respond online will receive an in-person follow-up; Census personnel wear clear identification
UPDATED: Schedule for the 2020 Census: On or between You’ll receive
Operations Update (as of April 13)
March 12 – Oct. 31
March 12 – Aug. 14
(paper and e-Response)
April 2 – Sept. 3
April 16 – June 19
|Field Operations Begin||
June 13 – July 9
March 15 – April 17
July 1 – Sept. 3
April 16 – June 19
Aug. 11 – Oct. 31
May 28 – Aug. 14
April 23 – May 18
What will be asked on the 2020 Census
- How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2020?
- Were there additional people staying here on April 1, 2020 that you did not include in the first question?
- Is this house, apartment, or mobile home?
- What is your telephone number?
- Information for each person living in your home (First and Last name)
- What is this person’s gender?
- What is this person’s age and what is this person’s date of birth?
- Is this person Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?
- What is this person’s race?
The Census Bureau will never ask you the following questions:
- Citizenship question
- Your Social Security number
- Money or donations
- Anything on behalf of a political party
- Your bank or credit card account information
The City of Tukwila is committed to working with residents, nonprofit organizations, houses of worship and other trusted partners to ensure a complete count in Tukwila. City staff are available to present on the importance of the Census to various community groups and interested parties. The community is encouraged to reach out to Niesha Fort-Brooks, Community Engagement Manager at the City of Tukwila for more information.
Ways the Census Bureau is available:
- Online (the 2020 Census will be performed primarily online)
- By mail
- By phone
- In person
For more information about 2020 Census Bureau timeline, Hard-to-Count populations, language resources and privacy/confidentiality please click on the links below:
- Learn more about Hard-to-Count populations
- Languages Resources
- Privacy and Confidentiality Information
- 2020 Census Bureau Timeline
Washington State Resources
- Allyship – LGTBQ+ 2020 Census
- King County 2020 Census: Everyone Counts
- 2020 Census Philanthropy Northwest
- Washington Census Alliance
- Washington State Office of Financial Management (OFM) 2020 Census: Everyone Counts
- Washington Nonprofits – 2020 Census Action Kit for Nonprofits
- LGTBQ National Task Force: Queer the Census
- African American Women in the USA
- African Americans in the 2020 Census
- ¡Hágase Contar!
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice: Count Us in 2020
- Native Count
- U.S. Census Bureau
- 2020 Census Special Circumstances
- 2020 Census Partner Materials
(Overview Materials, Guides and Toolkits, Audience-Specific Materials and Related Materials)
- United States Census Bureau Workshops
- Faith Community Partnerships & 2020 Census
- Census Jobs
For more information or if you have questions, please contact the City of Tukwila Community Engagement Manager Niesha Fort-Brooks at Niesha.Fort-Brooks@TukwilaWA.gov or 206-454-7564.