Public Works Administration
6300 Southcenter Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 433-0179
Fax: 206 431-3665
Facilities Needs Assessment and Feasibility Study
The City of Tukwila is developing a long-term plan for City facilities, called the Facilities Needs Assessment and Feasibility Study. This is the first comprehensive study of all of the City’s major facilities, such as fire stations, maintenance shops and other public buildings. Just as we plan for population growth through our Comprehensive Plan, or major construction efforts through our Capital Improvement Plan, facilities planning allows us to meet our responsibility to ensure the long-term provisions of city services.
Why a plan for facilities?
Some of the City’s facilities are nearing the end of their useful lives. In addition, some that support the City’s core and emergency response functions are on soils prone to liquefaction in a seismic event, which puts them at risk of failure during an earthquake. The last major investment in facilities to support core city functions was nearly 40 years ago. Since then, the city has grown substantially, and the way it does business has changed dramatically over the last four decades.
Before investing in existing facilities, the City wishes to reassess its needs and the suitability of its current buildings, as well as better understand its long term needs. This study will guide future investment in City facilities.
The City is currently in phase three of a four-phase effort, which consists of:
Draft Analysis Materials
All materials below are draft documents and were produced for the planning process. No decisions have been made.
Phase 1 Council Work Session
January 13, 2014
Phase 2 Council Check In
April 14, 2014
Phase 2 Council Work Session
May 12, 2014
Phase 3 Council Work Session
December 15, 2014
Phase 4 Update and Discussion
June 22, 2015 – City Council Committee of the Whole Meeting
August 19, 2015 – Steering Committee Meeting
November 18, 2015 – Steering Committee Meeting
- Steering Committee Meeting Agenda
- DRAFT Facilities Plan For Essential Government Services 2015-2040 (1 Page)
- DRAFT Facilities Plan For Essential Government Services 2015-2040
- Funding and Phasing Decision Tree
December 14, 2015 – City Council Committee of the Whole Meeting
- Informational Memorandum – Steering Committee Recommendation
- Phase 4 Steering Committee Recommendations Presentation
- Executive Summary – Investing in Tukwila: Essential Government Services Facilities Plan 2015-2040 DRAFT
- Investing in Tukwila: Essential Government Services Facilities Plan 2015-2040 DRAFT
- Appendix A: Tukwila Current and Future Space Needs
- Appendix B: Tukwila Facility Evaluation and Assessment
- Appendix C: Facility Condition Staff Engagement
- Appendix D: Tukwila Facility Alternatives
- Appendix E: Operating and Capital Funding Situation Assessment
- Appendix F: Program Costs and Phasing Options
- Appendix G: Funding and Financing Options
- Appendix H: Community Engagement and Input
- Appendix I: List of City Owned Property