Transit Oriented Development Housing Action Plan
Full Document: TOD Housing Strategies Plan
The City of Tukwila worked in partnership with the community to create a Transit-Oriented Development Housing Strategies Plan to provide data and strategies for implementing the Community Strategic Plan and provide the foundation for updating the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
Our Housing Plan focuses on the area around the Tukwila International Boulevard (TIB District) LINK light rail station and analyze the need for more residential building capacity while minimizing displacement of existing residents and small businesses. The TIB District is a vibrant community center that is expected to accommodate future infrastructure and residential housing needs. Targeted growth in the TIB District is consistent with the City’s Comprehensive Plan, King County Countywide planning policies, and PSRC’s Vision 2040 goals and policies.
This Housing Action Plan includes:
- An evaluation of Tukwila’s existing housing policy documents
- An assessment of barriers and strategies to encourage higher density development in the TIB District
- Strategies to minimize displacement in the TIB District zone
In the summer of 2019, the State legislature passed House Bill 1923 providing $5 million in grant opportunities to increase residential building capacity in Washington communities, with awards up to $100,000 per jurisdiction. The goal of a housing plan developed using this funding source was “to encourage construction of additional affordable and market rate housing in a greater variety of housing types and at prices that are accessible to a greater variety of incomes, including strategies aimed at the for-profit single-family home market.”
City Staff applied for the grant and Tukwila was awarded $100,000 from the Department of Commerce to create a Housing Action Plan with 2 distinct sections:
- A Sub-Regional Housing Action Framework and is a collaborative effort with Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, and Tukwila.
- a Tukwila-specific Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Housing Strategies Plan which builds upon the results from the sub-regional framework.
Sub-Regional Housing Action Framework
The joint portion of the plan with Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, Renton and Tukwila has been substantially completed. Deliverables include:
- Housing Strategies Framework
- Housing Context Assessment Methods
- Housing Policy Assessment
- Fact Packets for each individual City and the sub-region:
For more information about this project you can reach out to email@example.com.