Transit Oriented Development Housing Action Plan
Virtual Public Hearing
Tukwila’s Planning Commission will be reviewing the Draft Transit-Oriented Development Housing Action Plan and discussing the outlined recommendations. All are welcome to join this meeting to listen and/or give public comment about the Draft Plan.
When: June 24th at 6:30 pm
Where: Virtual! The hearing will be held over Microsoft Teams, and the Meeting link can be found here!
You can also call into the meeting by dialing 253-292-9750, Phone Conference ID: 659 121 568#
The City of Tukwila is working in partnership with the community to create a Housing Action Plan (HAP) to provide data and strategies for implementing the Community Strategic Plan and provide the foundation for updating the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- City of Tukwila Strategic Plan
- City of Tukwila Comprehensive Plan
- Draft Transit Oriented Development Housing Action Plan
Our HAP will focus on the area around the Tukwila International Boulevard (TIB District) LINK light rail station and analyze the need for more residential building capacity while minimizing displacement of existing residents and small businesses. The TIB District is a vibrant community center that is expected to accommodate future infrastructure and residential housing needs. Targeted growth in the TIB District is consistent with the City’s Comprehensive Plan, King County Countywide planning policies, and PSRC’s Vision 2040 goals and policies.
This Housing Action Plan will include:
- An evaluation of Tukwila’s existing housing policy documents
- An assessment of barriers and strategies to encourage higher density development in the TIB District
- Strategies to minimize displacement in the TIB District zone
- A robust public engagement process throughout the planning process
Public Engagement Process
To date, our outreach process has focused on gathering insight from a range of diverse perspectives, including students, community leaders, business owners, nonprofits, service providers, housing developers, and residents. City staff and the consultant team have conducted a series of stakeholder interviews and focus groups to help inform HAP recommendations
On May 12th the City hosted a virtual open house to present proposed recommendations and gather to community feedback. After a brief presentation, participants broke out into small groups for facilitated conversations with City staff. Feedback and insight gathered will be used to revise final recommendations that will be presented to the Planning Commission on May 27th.
The presentation from the virtual open house can be found here!
We want to hear from you! If you’re unable to attend the open house, please submit comments in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the summer of 2019, the State legislature passed House Bill 1923 providing $5 million in grant opportunities to increase residential building capacity in Washington communities, with awards up to $100,000 per jurisdiction. The goal of a housing plan developed using this funding source was “to encourage construction of additional affordable and market rate housing in a greater variety of housing types and at prices that are accessible to a greater variety of incomes, including strategies aimed at the for-profit single-family home market.”
City Staff applied for the grant and Tukwila was awarded $100,000 from the Department of Commerce to create a Housing Action Plan with 2 distinct sections:
- A Sub-Regional Housing Action Framework and is a collaborative effort with Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, and Tukwila.
- a Tukwila-specific Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Housing Strategies Plan which builds upon the results from the sub-regional framework.
Sub-Regional Housing Action Framework
The joint portion of the plan with Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, Renton and Tukwila has been substantially completed. Deliverables include:
- Housing Strategies Framework
- Housing Context Assessment Methods
- Housing Policy Assessment
- Fact Packets for each individual City and the sub-region:
For more information about this project you can reach out to email@example.com.