Public Works Administration
6300 Southcenter Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 433-0179
Fax: 206 431-3665
NPDES Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit Program
Public Meeting Notice
Public Meetings to Provide Input on Tukwila’s Stormwater Management Program Plan on December 17, 2019, January 6, 2020 and January 7, 2020
To meet the requirements of the City of Tukwila’s Western Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit, the City’s Stormwater Management Program is currently being updated. Tukwila’s Public Works Department would like public input to help direct the updates. Please join us at a public meeting for an overview of the proposed changes.
View the Public Meeting Notice for more information.
The Department of Ecology (DOE) develops and administers Clean Water Act National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) municipal stormwater permits in Washington. The Western Washington Phase II permit requires local governments to manage and control stormwater runoff so that it does not pollute downstream waters.
Tukwila’s existing NPDES stormwater permit expired July 31, 2019 and a new permit was issued with an effective date August 1, 2019 to July 31, 2024.
The permit was updated to include Stormwater Planning, MS4 Mapping, and Documentation and Source Control Program for Existing Development. View the entire 2019-2024 Western Washington Phase II permit with appendices and supporting documents.
VIEW LOW IMPACT DEVELOPMENT (LID) GAP ANALYSIS
View the draft amendments
View the King County Manuals
- 2016 King County Surface Water Design Manual
- 2016 King County Stormwater Pollution Prevention Manual
If you have comments or any questions, please contact Greg Villanueva/NPDES Coordinator at 206-431-2442 or email email@example.com
To report a hazardous waste spill or other illicit discharges to a storm system, please call (206) 433-1860.
The City of Tukwila has obtained coverage under a NPDES (National Pollution Discharge Elimination System) Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit issued by the Washington State Department of Ecology. The NPDES is a federal requirement under the Clean Water Act that regulates stormwater and wastewater discharges. The permit requires that all affected municipalities create and implement a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP), which address five required program elements. These elements are:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Run-Off
- Operations and Maintenance of Post Construction Stormwater Facilities
Each of these required elements has different implementation schedules but all program elements must be fully implemented within the five-year permit term.
East Marginal Way South. Storm Outfalls Project
East Marginal Way S. Storm Outfalls Project design is 90% complete. This project is located in the Boeing /East Marginal Way area and will provide flow control and stormwater quality treatment utilizing Low Impact Development techniques for drainage connections to the Duwamish River. This project is made possible through a $120,000 grant awarded to the city by the Washington State Department of Ecology.
Geographic Information System (GIS)
The City’s GIS Database includes mapping of receiving water body outfalls, drainage pipes 8” and larger including pipe invert, materials and condition. GIS mapping will continue to be updated as needed. The mapping was made possible through the City’s Surface Water (Storm Drainage) Utility fund and a Washington State Department of Ecology grant.
Annual Report & Stormwater Management Program Plan
The permit requires the City to submit annual reports to the Department of Ecology no later than March 31st for the preceding calendar year.
- City of Tukwila 2015 Stormwater Management Program Plan
- City of Tukwila 2014 Stormwater Management Program
- Low Impact Development: Technical Guidance Manual for Puget Sound
- Low Impact Development Training Program
- Statewide Low Impact Development Training Program (For other news, updates, information, and the most up-to-date course catalog)
- Low Impact Development Open House Presentation
Public Education and Outreach
- 2017 Community Storm Water Survey
- 2011 Yellow Book Hazardous Waste Directory
- Natural Yard Care: Five steps to make your piece of the planet a healthier place to live.
- Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning Notice
- May/June 2013 – Spring caring for our environment & Household Hazardous Products
- January 2012 – Stormwater Management Program – Workshop Notice
- April 2011 – Residential Recycling Collection Event – Rain Barrels For Sale
- January 2011 – Stormwater Management Program – Your Dog Could Be Famous
- February 2010 – Stormwater Management Program National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System update
- September 2009 – Autumn’s return to the rainy season means stormwater runoff and pollution
- July 2009 – Program addresses stormwater pollution
- February 2008 – Tukwila Works to meet new Federal regulations with its Storm Water Management Program
Tukwila Reporter Articles:
- October 2015 – Increasing Awareness of Stormwater Contamination.
- February 2014 – City of Tukwila Surface Water Management Program Workshop.
- December 2013 – Free Auto Leaks Workshops.
- November 2013 – Stormwater Survey Results & Street Sweeping and Stormwater.
- June 2013 – Tukwila Students Learn About Connection Between Stormwater and Healthy Frogs.
- November 2012 – Stormwater Management Program: Tukwila Businesses Recognized for Stormwater Efforts
- June 2012 – Stormwater Management Program: Tukwila Elementary 5th Grade Science Class Cares About the Quality of the Green River
- December 2011 – Stormwater Management Program: Workshop Notice
- June 2011 – Stormwater Management: NPDES Update, Catch Basin Marker Program
The City is required to seek public involvement and participation in the development and implementation of the SWMP. To fulfill this requirement, the City will utilize the following venues in an effort to keep our residents informed on this progress:
- This web page
- Articles in the City Publication – Hazelnut
- Articles in the City Newspaper – Tukwila Reporter
- Public Meetings -Workshops and City Council Meetings
- Tukwila TV, Twitter and Facebook.
- Public Works Outreach Booths at various City functions
- Town Hall meetings
Related Phase II Permit Links
NPDES Stormwater Education and Outreach Program Survey
The City’s NPDESPhase II general permit requires that the City measure its residents understanding of the City’s stormwater system. To meet this requirement the City conducted these recent surveys:
This public outreach video series has been created to help build community awareness of Illicit Discharge, Detection and Elimination, including understanding illicit discharges, the damage they can do, what they look like, how to recognize them and what citizens can do to help eliminate them.
The video is available below in three video lengths in both English and Spanish
|English Version||Versión Española|
Watch with children and family, and discuss the importance of keeping Tukwila’s waters clean.
For more information on NPDES Programs or to participate in the development of our Surface Water Management Plan, please contact Greg Villanueva, NPDES Coordinator at SWMP@TukwilaWA.gov or (206) 431-2442.
- Bid Results/Tabulations
- Comprehensive Sanitary Sewer Plan
- Comprehensive Surface Water Plan
- Comprehensive Water Plan
- Current CIP projects
- Current Capital Improvement Program (CIP)
- Current Water Quality Report
- Infrastructure Design and Construction Standards
- Neighborhood Projects & Expenditures 1989-2019