Land Use Permits
Do I need a land use permit?
Land Use permits can be required by the city’s Zoning Code to ensure that proposed use and improvement of property meets zoning and other requirements found in the code. Essentially, land use permits are not permits for construction; they are approvals for land development, designs and uses for future building construction.
Explore our land use permits below; our permits are separated by category of need. Sometimes approval across categories may be required.
To begin the process, connect with a land use planner before you start your project to obtain assistance with the development process in a number of ways:
- One of the department contact options (phone, email, virtual appointment) located under Permit Center Hours on this page.
Land Use Permit Checklists and Fees
ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS
- Design Review Checklist
- Design Review Manuals
ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW & SEPA
- SEPA Application
- SEPA Environmental Checklist – (Word Version)
- SEPA Environmental Checklist – (PDF Version)
- Shoreline – Conditional Use Permit
- Shoreline – Substantial Development Permit
- Special Permission – Critical Area Deviation
CONDITIONAL & UNCLASSIFIED USES
LAND DIVISION: SHORT PLATS/BOUNDARY LINE ADJUSTMENT/SUBDIVISIONS
- Planned Residential Development (Administrative, Public Hearing, Major and Minor Mod)
- Subdivision (10+ Lots, Preliminary and Final)
- Short Plat, Binding Site Improvement Plan (BSIP)
- Boundary Line Adjustment (BLA), Lot Consolidation
SPECIAL PERMISSION PERMITS
- Special Permission – Cargo Container
- Special Permission – Landscaping and Setbacks
- Special Permission – Parking
TREES AND LANDSCAPING
Please visit the City’s Urban Forestry page to learn more about the City tree regulations and preservation efforts.
ZONING VERIFICATION, EXEMPTION CHECKLISTS
Permit Center Hours
Phone, email, and virtual appointment assistance hours
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.
In-person assistance hours
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.
Permit Center Address
6300 Southcenter Blvd., #100
Tukwila, WA 98188
☏ (206) 431-3670
Fax: (206) 431-3665
For in-depth service with a City division schedule a Microsoft Teams meeting.