6300 Southcenter Blvd., #100
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 431-3670
Fax: 206 431-3665
The Permit Center coordinates the review of various permits, including, building, mechanical, plumbing/gas piping, electrical and public works permits. At the Permit Center, you will find staff available from the Building Division, Planning Division and Public Works Department to assist you with your development proposal and questions that you may have. No appointment is necessary.
The Permit Center accepts and issues building, mechanical, plumbing/gas piping and electrical permits between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This also includes public works permits.
Permit center staff, including building, planning and public works are available to answer questions between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
eTrakit Online Access to Permit Information
- Permit Center Fee Schedule
(Building, Mechanical, Plumbing/Gas Piping and Electrical)
- Public Works Permit Fee Schedule
- Land Use Applications and Fee Schedule
- Temporary Special Events Permit
Frequently Requested Forms
- Construction Permit Application
- Combination Permit Application – New Single Family
- Electrical Permit Application
- How To Schedule a Permit Inspection
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing/Gas Piping Permit Application
- Public Works Fee Estimate Worksheet
- Public Works Permit Application
- Permanent Sign Application
- Revision Submittal Form
- Temporary Sign Application
Building Permits Overview
The role of the Building Division is to safeguard health, safety, property and public welfare through the enforcement of the Washington State Building Code and related codes.
Effective enforcement and clear building regulations are necessary to ensure building safety. The Division’s work ensures that buildings are designed and constructed to be structurally stable, have adequate entrances and exits, provide sufficient light and ventilation, and meet an acceptable level of health, life and safety protection.
Permit Process Overview
The following process is required for a variety of construction, alteration, and demolition activities of buildings or structures.
- Permit applications for building construction, alterations, electrical, and mechanical equipment work may be submitted at the City of Tukwila Permit Center located at 6300 Southcenter Boulevard, Suite 100 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Appointments are not necessary.
- Applicable city departments review the permit application, with its accompanying plans and specifications. The plan review staff for each department determine if the proposed construction will meet the standards of their respective chapters of the Tukwila Municipal Code. Corrections or clarifications may be required to the application documents. Following approval by each department, a building permit is issued by the Permit Center.
- After the permit is issued, construction may begin. A prescribed schedule of inspections, which is attached to each permit, must occur throughout the construction process. The required inspections ensure that the work proceeds according to approved plans. Scheduling an inspection is required and is the builders responsibility.
- When the construction is completed, a final inspection is required before a building or space can be occupied. A Building Division Inspector will conduct the final inspection. The Inspector will confirm that all affected City, County, and State departments or agencies have approved and signed-off on their requirements. Lastly, the inspector will determine that the life, health, and property protections are provided for the occupancy or use.
The City of Tukwila administers and enforces the following codes:
- The Washington State Building Code, which includes the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Mechanical Code, International Fire Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, and each of the related standards and State Amendments.
- The Washington State Energy Code
Land Use Application Forms
- Permanent Sign Permit Application
- Temporary and Special Event Permit Application
- Pole/Banner Initial Application
- New Billboard
- Master Sign Program
Zoning & Shoreline Variances, Special Permissions and Site Plan Review
- Zoning Code Variance
- Shoreline Variance
- Environmentally Sensitive Areas Deviation
- Sensitive Area Buffer Reduction
- Reasonable Use Exception
- Exception from Single Family Design Standard
- Special Permission Cargo Container
- Landscape Perimeter Averaging
- Tree and Landscape Modification Permit and Exceptions
Lot Creation and Consolidation
- Preliminary Plat (10+ Lots)
- Final Plat (10+ Lots)
- Binding Site Improvement Plan
- Planned Residential Development – Administrative
Wireless Communication Facility
SEPA & Environmental
- Type 1 – 30 days or less, No Notice, No Hearing
- Type 2 – 31-60 days No Hearing
- Type 3 – More than 60 days
Comprehensive Plan Changes
Miscellaneous Services and Charges
- Multi-Family Design Manual
- Parking Structure Design Manual
- Southcenter Design Manual
- TIB Design Manual
- Townhouse Design Manual
- Building Footprint
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Weltand & Watercourse Studies
- Public Notice Mailing Specs
- Public Notice Sign Specs
- Residential Short Plat Summary
Permit Activity Reports
2016 Permit Activity Reports
2015 Permit Activity Reports