6300 Southcenter Blvd., #100
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 431-3670
Fax: 206 431-3665
The City of Tukwila’s Permit Center is closed to the public on Fridays through the end of the year due to staff furloughs resulting from the financial impacts of the coronavirus pandemic. Staff will work remotely on Friday mornings and will be furloughed Friday afternoons. The staff work week has been reduced to 36-hours from 40-hours as one of the ways to close the budget gap created by the pandemic. As a result, there may be a delay in response.
Permit Center temporarily closed to walk-in customers
To help reduce transmission of Coronavirus; to keep our community safe; and to align with the Governor’s Stay Home, Stay Healthy Order the City has moved many City functions, including the Permit Center, to a Virtual City Hall. City staff is available during business hours via phone and email. A response to your voicemail or email message will be returned within one business day.
- Building and Fire Permits: Permits@TukwilaWA.gov or 206-431-3670
- Public Works Permits (utilities and grading): Laurie.Werle@TukwilaWA.gov or 206-433-7184
- Land use and Sign Permits: Shana.Markstrom@TukwilaWA.gov or 206-431-3670
The Governor has designated a list of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers to help state, local, tribal, and industry partners as they work to protect communities, while ensuring continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security. Additional guidance from the Governor’s office related to construction is available here.
At this time the city is accepting all new permits and revisions to existing permits. Permits for facilities deemed essential by the Governor’s order and permits for emergency repairs will have priority. Please contact the appropriate staff listed above for directions on how to apply but note that the permit center is closed to walk-in customers.
**Please be advised that we do NOT accept online scheduling of inspections.
- Permit inspections will only take place for Essential Critical Infrastructure; or for construction to further a public purpose related to a public entity including publicly financed low-income housing; or work required to prevent spoliation and avoid damage or unsafe conditions; and to address all emergency repairs.
- Permit inspections for Essential Critical Infrastructure can be scheduled by calling 206-438-9350. For Fire Inspections call 206-575-4407.
- Staff will not enter areas where social distancing and safety cannot be achieved. Any contractor or owner who requests an inspection shall notify the city in advance if anyone on the jobsite where inspection will occur has experienced any symptoms related to Coronavirus. At least 15 minutes prior to coming to the job site the City inspector will contact the person who requested the inspection so that area can be cleared, and social distancing requirements are met.
- Due to reduced capacity, electrical inspections will take place on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only until further notice.
We appreciate your cooperation and partnership in protecting our community from further spread of the Coronavirus.
NEW Online Permits Available
Electrical, Mechanical, AND Plumbing Over the Counter permits (that need no plan review) are now available online!
Please follow the link below and navigate to the permit application that you need. You can also view the Customer Instructions for Online Permit Processing.
After submittal, you will receive payment instructions and receive your permit. If you have any questions, please call: (206) 431-3670
Additional permits will become available for online submittal in the near future.
ACCESS FIRE PERMITS HERE. Click on the “FIRE DEVELOPMENT SERVICES” link to select the application you need.
eTrakit continues to be our resource for viewing existing permits, projects, contractors, properties, inspections, violations, and scheduling inspections.
- Permit Center Fee Schedule
(Building, Mechanical, Plumbing/Gas Piping and Electrical)
- Public Works Permit Fee Schedule
- Land Use Fee Schedule
- Parks and Fire Impact Fees
- Public Works Fee Estimate Worksheet
Building Permits Overview
The role of the Building Division is to safeguard health, safety, property and public welfare through the enforcement of the Washington State Building Code and related codes.
Effective enforcement and clear building regulations are necessary to ensure building safety. The Division’s work ensures that buildings are designed and constructed to be structurally stable, have adequate entrances and exits, provide sufficient light and ventilation, and meet an acceptable level of health, life and safety protection.
Permit Process Overview
The following process is required for a variety of construction, alteration, and demolition activities of buildings or structures.
- Permit applications for building construction, alterations, electrical, and mechanical equipment work may be submitted at the City of Tukwila Permit Center located at 6300 Southcenter Boulevard, Suite 100 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Appointments are not necessary.
- Electrical, Mechanical, AND Plumbing Over the Counter permits (that need no plan review) are now available online! Visit the Forms Portal.
- Applicable city departments review the permit application, with its accompanying plans and specifications. The plan review staff for each department determine if the proposed construction will meet the standards of their respective chapters of the Tukwila Municipal Code. Corrections or clarifications may be required to the application documents. Following approval by each department, a building permit is issued by the Permit Center.
- After the permit is issued, construction may begin. A prescribed schedule of inspections, which is attached to each permit, must occur throughout the construction process. The required inspections ensure that the work proceeds according to approved plans. Scheduling an inspection is required and is the builders responsibility. We do NOT accept online scheduling of inspections. Please call (206)438-9350 for PW/ELECT/BLDG inspections.
- When the construction is completed, a final inspection is required before a building or space can be occupied. A Building Division Inspector will conduct the final inspection. The Inspector will confirm that all affected City, County, and State departments or agencies have approved and signed-off on their requirements. Lastly, the inspector will determine that the life, health, and property protections are provided for the occupancy or use.
The City of Tukwila administers and enforces the following codes:
- The Washington State Building Code, which includes the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Mechanical Code, International Fire Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, and each of the related standards and State Amendments.
- The Washington State Energy Code
Building Department Application Forms
- Construction Permit Application (Revised January 2020)
- Combination Permit Application – New Single Family
- Electrical Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing/Gas Piping Permit Application
- Above Ground Storage Tanks
- Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)
- Building Demolition
- CHANGING OUT WINDOWS Single Family Residence
- CHANGING OUT WINDOWS and/or SIDING Multi-Unit Residential Buildings
- Commercial – New or Additions
- Commercial – TI-MF Alteration
- Electrical Permits
- Mechanical – Commercial Structures
- Mechanical – Residential Structures
- Plumbing Permit
- Plumbing – Commercial Structures
- Rack Storage
- Reroof – Commercial
- Reroof – Residential
- Residential Business Home Occupation Policies
- Retaining Walls
- Satellite Dishes – Antennas and Comm Towers
- Single Family Residential Remodel-Addition
- Single Family Submittal Requirements
- Solar Installations
- Plan Set Examples
- Retaining Wall Guidelines
- Sample TI Site Plan
- Sample Residential Site Plan
- Sample Foundation Drains
- Typical Foundation Wall
- Cross Section Framing
- Setbacks Projections Building-Height
- Stairways and Landings
- Deck Construction and Details
- Safety Glazing
- Design Criteria Table
- Sample Remodel Floor Plan
- New Deck Addition Floor Plan
- Foundation Dampprofing
- Plumbing Plans
- Sample Plan Accessory Structure
- Sample Slab on Grade Insulation
- Mercantile Means of Egress
- Egress Windows
- Smoke & CO Alarms
Public Works Application Forms
Land Use Application Forms
NEW! Electronic submittal procedures for LAND USE AND SIGN APPLICATIONS available here.
- Permanent Sign Permit Application
- Temporary/Special Event Sign Permit Application
- Pole/Banner Initial Application
- New Billboard
- Master Sign Program
- Sign Code Variance
Zoning & Shoreline Variances, Special Permissions and Site Plan Review
- Zoning Code Variance
- Shoreline Variance
- Environmentally Sensitive Areas Deviation
- Sensitive Area Buffer Reduction
- Reasonable Use Exception
- Exception from Single Family Design Standard
- Special Permission Cargo Container
- Landscape Perimeter Averaging
- Tree Permit
- Tree Removal and Landscape Modification Permit
- Tree Exception Permit
- Tree Inventory Form
Lot Creation and Consolidation
- Preliminary Plat (10+ Lots)
- Final Plat (10+ Lots)
- Binding Site Improvement Plan
- Planned Residential Development – Administrative
Wireless Communication Facility
SEPA & Environmental
- Checklist – Environmental Review
- SEPA Planned Action
- Sensitive Area Master Plan Overlay
- SEPA – Tukwila Urban Center Project
Comprehensive Plan Changes
Miscellaneous Services and Charges
- Pre-application Meeting
- Special Events Permit
- Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Registration Application
- Correction/Revision Submittal Form
Planning Division Informational Documents
- Multi-Family Design Manual
- Parking Structure Design Manual
- Southcenter Design Manual
- TIB Design Manual
- Townhouse Design Manual
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Approved Tree List
- Building Footprint
- Fire Access Road Specifications
- Hearing Examiner Rules of Practice and Procedure, April 24, 2014
- Public Notice Mailing Specs
- Public Notice Sign Specs
- Residential Short Plat Infosheet
- Correction/Revision Submittal Form (Planning Division)
- Wetland & Watercourse Studies
Permit Activity Reports
2020 Permit Activity Reports
2019 Permit Activity Reports
2018 Permit Activity Reports