42nd Avenue Project
Construction on 42nd Avenue includes new street improvements, drainage, curbs, gutters and driveway adjustments. It will also bring new sidewalks and bike facilities to this important residential corridor, as well as undergrounding of the various utility wires along 42nd. The project includes building a new culvert at Gilliam Creek that will make the stream crossing fish passable and improve roadway safety. The project is being paid for by a variety of funds. The City issued bonds to cover the General Fund portion of the project, the bulk of the financing. Surface Water fees collected by the City will pay for the culvert replacement portion of the project, and Seattle City Light and other communication utilities will cover a portion of the costs associated with undergrounding the utilities.
Current Anticipated Project Timeline, subject to weather and utility companies’ work schedule
- The utility cutover work is in progress. The duration of this work is being determined through various utility coordination.
- As we have just completed the asphalt paving, we will continue with installing pavement markings and permanent signing. Landscaping and other project features will be completed after all utility companies finished their works on site.
What to expect throughout construction:
- Work hours will change to 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM starting on March 26, 2018, Monday through Friday (hours could vary slightly from day to day).
- Pedestrian through access on 42nd is not available until completion of culvert work.
- 42nd St will remain open from Military Road to S 160th Street. Please continue to visit businesses during construction!
- Noise, dust, and vibration near construction zones. We’ll limit impacts as much as possible.
- Rough pavement after potholing, trenching, and other work. Anticipate loose gravel and steel plates on the roadway within the closed section of 42nd from Southcenter Boulevard and S 160th Street.
- Pedestrians and other traffic will be accommodated within the work zone however some routes may be restricted during excavation and other particularly hazardous activities. Please be careful around active equipment and make sure workers see you before proceeding near an active work zone.
- Local residents can expect intermittent driveway closures to accommodate trenching as it passes by the driveways and across the active roadway (especially at intersections). Please provide for extra time when traveling through the project site.
For specific questions, contact Peter Lau, Project Construction Manager at (206) 431-2454 or via email at Peter.Lau@TukwilaWA.gov.
Project Status Update – November 8, 2018
Our project team would like to thank you all for your cooperation with the road closures and traffic revisions to accomplish the completed paving work on 42nd Avenue South. We request your continued cooperation and patience with us while the road construction contractor raises catch basin and manhole lids to grade along 42nd Ave S.
The electrical subcontractor continues to install private service connections to properties along 42nd Avenue South. The landscaping subcontractor has planted shrubs and trees along 42nd Ave S, and is continuing landscaping work at the Gilliam Creek area. The concrete subcontractor poured a few driveways, short wall, and sidewalk portions along 42nd Avenue South. There are a few remaining sidewalk portions that are not complete due to existing power poles being in the way. Due to the sidewalks not being completed, there is not a continuous ADA compliant pedestrian pathway through the project limits at this time.
Seattle City Light (SCL) is continuing to work with the road construction contractor for private service connections. The CenturyLink (CTL), Comcast, and Zayo crews also continue their work on the new underground system. Please be advised that there will be some traffic delays due to congestion with multiple working crews on site.
In the near future you can expect:
- The undergrounding of the overhead utilities will continue.
- The contractor is continuing the installation of private services for electrical and communications, in which the contractor will coordinate the work on private property with you. The contractor will also be adding pavement markings, and continue with landscaping and other features.
Join the Project Mailing List