- This event has passed.
FREE Tax Preparation
February 10, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
You can have your taxes prepared by IRS-certified volunteers through United Way of King County’s Free Tax Campaign. Along with tax preparation (including back-year taxes), you can get help with health care enrollment, credit report pulls, and access to other benefits. This community service is 100% free. No appointment is needed; walk-ins are welcome. Returns are e-filed and you’ll receive your refund fast! For details on what to bring, languages spoken at the site, and to answer any other questions, visit www.uwkc.org/taxhelp or call 2-1-1.
You can also file online at myfreetaxes.com– free for anyone making less than $64,000.
United Way is an equal opportunity provider and anyone who earned less than $64,000 in 2016 can use United Way’s Free Tax Preparation services. However, some returns are too complex for our volunteers. For example, we cannot prepare returns for income earned in other states. For details, visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section below.
What to Bring
- Social Security cards/individual tax identification numbers (ITINs) and birthdates for everyone to be listed on the return
- Photo ID
- All tax statements, such as W-2 forms (from all your employers), 1099 forms (interest, dividends, unemployment), SSA-1099 forms (Social Security and/or retirement income), etc. For a list of common tax forms, visit our FAQ section below.
- Health Insurance forms 1095-A (required), 1095-B (required if available), or 1095-C (required if available).
- If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you both must be present to e-file.
- Bank account number and routing number
- A copy of last year’s tax return
Note about the Earned Income Tax Credit this year
Effective in 2017, new legislation requires the IRS to hold refunds of all tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) until February 15. You’ll still want to file early, but know that anyone who benefits from these tax credits may have to wait a bit longer for their return this year.
United Way’s Free Tax Preparation Campaign is designed for people who make less than $64,000 per year. (Please note that our service cannot prepare complex forms, such as out-of-state returns. Click the FAQ section below for details.)
Why We Help
United Way is a nonprofit organization that supports community services such as food banks and emergency shelters. We are dedicated to helping people avoid homelessness, maintain financial stability and strengthen their ability to sustain themselves. Free Tax Preparation is a tool to help people keep more of the money they earn and help them take care of their familiesâ€”and even save for the future.
We can’t think of a better reason to offer this free service.