The Cities of Federal Way, Kent and Tukwila are working collectively to make funding available to small organizations that specialize in serving under-served, under-represented, and/or under resourced populations. These populations include racially, ethnically and disadvantaged residents; including refugees, immigrants, English Language Learners, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and/or LGBTQ.
A total of $50,000 has been set aside by the Cities for addressing or supporting a human services need or priority recognized by the city’s human services board or commission. If an organization is awarded funds, the total will be matched by a grant from Seattle Foundation. With the match, grants will range from approximately $4,000 to $10,000. The result of this pilot process of funding will help the cities acquire a deeper understanding of barriers to funding and how to decrease or eliminate barriers and identify policy changes that can be made to successfully integrate all organizations that provide vital services to residents into the human services funding stream.
Organizations eligible for this funding must:
- Have a budget of $200,000 or less; AND
- Not have received funding from Federal Way, Kent or Tukwila between 2013-2016; AND
- Specialize in serving an under-served, under-represented and/or under-resourced population (i.e., immigrants, refugees, English Language Learners (ELL), People of Color, and/or LGBTQ ; AND
- Have a Board of Directors and staff that represents the population served; AND
- Demonstrate through its application that service or assistance is being provided in one of the participating jurisdictions or to a significant number of people living in one of the participating jurisdictions; AND
- Address or support a human services need or priority identified by the funding jurisdiction or an emerging need recognized by the jurisdiction’s Human Services Board or Commission
Applications can be downloaded here. A technical assistance meeting is scheduled for October 18 from 9-11:30 a.m., at 400 West Gowe Street, Kent WA, Centennial Center, Conference Rooms North and South.