City of Tukwila Emergency Management
15005 Tukwila International Blvd
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 971-8750
Landslides can be caused by earthquakes, storms, volcanic eruptions, fires, and human modifications to land.
The deadliest landslides are the ones that occur quickly and with little notice. Whether you are at home or out and about, the best way to prepare is to stay informed and understand when a dangerous slide is likely to occur.
For more information about landslides, visit the USGS website
Know the Warning Signs of a Landslide
- Doors or windows stick or jam for the first time.
- New cracks appear in plaster, tile, brick, or your foundation.
- Outside walls, walkways, or stairs begin to pull away from the building.
- Slowly developing, widening cracks appear on the ground or on paved areas, such as streets or driveways.
- Underground utility lines break.
- Fences, retaining walls, utility poles, or trees tilt or move.
- You hear faint rumbling that increases in volume as the landslide nears.
- Sinkholes develop.