TDM for Employers
Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) Program
ANNOUNCEMENT: The CTR tools are being updated. A new web app will be used to survey employees in 2022.
What is CTR?
If your worksite has 100 or more employees arriving at work between the hours of 6 am and 9 am, your company may be affected by Washington State’s Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) law. Some employers are considered affected by the ordinance as a condition of a City permit. Employer Transportation Coordinators (ETCs) and large employers play a critical role in reducing drive-alone trips and promoting transit, biking, walking, teleworking and alternative work schedules.
Basic Requirements for Employers
- Appoint and maintain an individual to act as an Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC) for employees and to be the primary contact with the City.
- Develop and promote a program that helps employees reduce drive-alone commute trips.
- Conduct a commute survey every two years to measure employees’ drive alone rates.
- Complete a program report survey every two years.
- Submit the program report and surveys to the City’s Commute Trip Reduction Coordinator for review and approval.
- Exercise a good faith effort by collaborating with the City in administration and implementation of the law.
- City of Tukwila CTR Ordinance #2201, Summary of changes to the City of Tukwila CTR Ordinance #2201 (2008)
- Tukwila CTR Plan (2008), CTR Plan Update 2011-2015, CTR Plan Update 2015-2019
- RCW 70.94.521, State CTR Law
- Washington Administrative Code 63-68 Commute Trip Reduction
click here to download
Menu of Services for Employers
South King County Transportation Options provides free consultation and assistance to employers to encourage employees to try a sustainable commute (e.g., carpool, vanpool, bus, train, bike walk). We can help your company provide commute benefits to your employees!
Employer Transportation Subsidy Programs
- ORCA Business Passport: A comprehensive annual transportation pass for all employees
- ORCA Business Choice: Load a monthly dollar amount or monthly pass onto employee ORCA cards at retail pricing
- ORCA for Small Business: Transit subsidy for businesses with less than 100 employees
- Vanpool: A Vanpool consists of five or more members who share a similar commute. Vans, insurance, and gas are provided. Fares are based on mileage, number of riders, and size of van. If your company enrolls in ORCA Passport, Vanpools are likely covered by Passport.
- Vanshare: Bridge the last mile from a train station or Park & Ride to your employment site
- Transportation options training and trip planning assistance for your employees
- Presentation or resource table at company events, meetings, or orientations
Outreach events can include ORCA cards and safety gear!
- Worksite Transportation Assessment: Site visit to assess opportunities to improve commuter facilities and develop or update a transportation program at your worksite
- Transportation Management Program (TMP) Assistance: Co-develop or update a program to improve transportation options at your site
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits Assistance: Help employees save on their commuting costs. In addition to saving employees hundreds of dollars, employers can also save as much as 9% on payroll taxes.
- Explore New Transportation Services: Assistance exploring innovative mobility options, such as shared employer shuttles, on-demand connections, Vanpool/Vanshare, or other options for your site
- Bicycle facilities (racks, lockers, repair stations)
- Carpool/Vanpool reserved parking stall signage
- Wayfinding signage for pedestrians
- Transportation information display with real-time transit information
SKCTO can provide planning and design assistance for transportation-related amenities with potential to partially fund project
Transportation Resources and Information
- Maps, transit schedules, and brochures
- King County “Transit Alert” emails and WSDOT “SKC Area Traffic News” emails
- Commuter rewards and ride matching portal: RideshareOnline.com
Reach out to us at SKCTransportationOptions@TukwilaWA.gov or (206) 433-7142 and let us help you provide competitive transportation benefits at your worksite!
We asked people who live, work, or spend time in Tukwila which of the following programs/amenities they would like to see in their community, school, or place of employment. These results reflect the top programs or amenities that employers and facilities can provide to support their employees in making their commutes healthier and happier. Employers can do a lot to encourage their employees to choose alternative commute modes!