City of Tukwila Emergency Management
15005 Tukwila International Blvd
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone: 206 971-8750
Boil Water Advisory
If water is potentially unsafe to drink, the Department of Health will issue a precautionary boil water advisory. This announcement advises Tukwila residents to boil tap water before drinking. These advisories typically last 24 hours but will remain in place until Department of Health is certain the water is safe to drink.
During a Boil Water Advisory
DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER
- Use bottled or boiled water to drink, cook, brush teeth, and mix baby formula.
- Wash fruits and vegetables with bottled or boiled water.
- Don’t use ice from ice trays or ice makers. Make new ice with bottled or boiled water.
- To be sage, give your pets bottled or boiled water.
Take care cleaning
- Wash countertops and tables with boiled water.
- Use a rise temperature of 150 degrees Fahrenheit or a sanitize cycle on your dishwasher.
- Wash dishes by hand as usual. Then soak in mixture of 1 gallon of water and 1 teaspoon of bleach for one minute.
- Do laundry as usual.
Be careful bathing
- If you are a healthy adult, you can bathe and shower with tap water. Be careful not to swallow any water.
- Give babies and young children a sponge bath.
- If you have open wounds or a weakened immune system, use boiled water (cooled to an appropriate bathing temperature) to bathe.
- Use hand sanitizer after washing hands.
Boil Water Safely
- Heat water until large bubbles come from the bottom to the top of the pot.
- Let the water boil for at least one minute.
- Turn off the stove and let the water cool
- Store water in a clean container with a cover.
- Add a pinch of salt and shake to improve taste
DO NOT consume or bathe in boiling water. Let the water cool to an appropriate drinking or bathing temperature.
After the Boil Water Advisory
- Run all cold-water faucets for at least five minutes.
- Flush icemakers and get rid of the first 3 batches of ice made.
- Drain and refill hot water heaters if the heater is set below 113 degrees Fahrenheit.