Tukwila International Boulevard Neighborhood Planning
What: The City of Tukwila adopted the Tukwila International Boulevard District Element of the Comprehensive Plan in 2015. Now in 2017, the Congress for New Urbanism is partnering with the City of Tukwila to assist in an implementation plan for the neighborhood. During the weekend of February 23-25, your vision and goals were reviewed, your comments regarding opportunities and constraints around implementation were collected, and draft recommendations were developed. A final report is now scheduled to be presented at the regularly scheduled City Council meeting on May 1st, 2017.
Where: TIB Rising focuses on the Tukwila International Boulevard neighborhood from S 139th St. to S 160th St.
Who: See the team of consultants from the Congress for New Urbanism who are working on this project.
When: This fall we will begin working will local residents, businesses, service providers, and other stakeholders in implementing the community’s vision for the neighborhood.
The Community’s Vision
An area that is a complete neighborhood with thriving, multicultural residential and business communities with vibrant places where everyone can live, work, shop and play. The area is a safe and walkable destination with an authentic main street that is connected to other destinations. There is an emphasis on self-sustaining, living wage employment opportunities here.
The City will begin working on how to:
- Improve the area’s walkability.
- Create through zoning, two distinct areas ¾ of a mile apart at S. 144th and Southcenter Boulevard
- Reconfigure TIB into a street that connects the east and west sides through more protected crossings, that contains on-street parking, and is known as a destination instead of just a throughway.
- Strengthen design guidelines so that buildings support a walkable environment and enhance overall neighborhood quality.
- Modify the parking requirement in order to minimize the negative impact of large empty parking lots on neighborhood quality and walkability.
- Develop strategies for increasing sidewalks and decreasing the size of blocks.
- Preserve and enhance the multicultural character of the area.
- Foster community engagement among residents and businesses and investment in the area thereby supporting the sense of safety and community livability.
Workshop Materials and Documents
- TIB Youth Outreach Summary (March 2017)
- TIB Rising Opening Workshop Video (February 23, 2017)
- TIB Rising Closing Workshop Video (February 25, 2017)
- TIB Rising Transportation Focus Group Video (February 24, 2017)
- TIB Retail Market Analysis – Gibbs Planning Group (February 2017)
- TIB Residential Market Analyis – Zimmerman/Volk Associates (March 2017)
- Existing TIB Revitalization Plan (1997 Draft & 1998 Final)
- Transforming a commercial strip corridor – CNU Journal (April 2017)
- Excited about the possibilities for Tukwila International Boulevard – Tukwila Reporter (March 2017)
- Community workshops to help shape future of Tukwila International Boulevard – Tukwila Reporter (February 2017)
- Large neighborhood planning effort coming – watch for TIB Neighborhood Rising in 2017 – Tukwila Reporter (November 2016)
Please go to the project’s twitter hashtag #TIBRising and add your comments, or send an email to Moira Bradshaw at 206 431-3651 and at email@example.com; or Lynn Miranda at 206 433-7162 and at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want More Information?
To receive email updates and announcements of events, please leave your email or mailing contact information.