Tukwila Parks & Recreation
12424 42nd Avenue South
Tukwila, WA 98168
Phone: 206 768-2822
Email Parks & Recreation
2023 Call for Artists!
WHAT ARTISTS NEED TO KNOW:
- This opportunity is open to Artists’ working in all mediums so long as the final artwork can be successfully translated to a digital file for print so it can be converted to vinyl wrap.
- The city will be responsible for printing and installing the vinyl art on the utility boxes.
- Artists will receive a budget of up to $1000.
- Artists will be given artwork credit on the box.
- Artists who would like assistance applying can join the Virtual Application Assistance Workshop for Prospective Artists on Thursday April 20, 2023 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- In addition to individual questions, the workshop will cover questions regarding application content and access to a computer or internet for the purposes of submitting an application.
- To receive a Microsoft Teams invitation, email Michael May at TukwilaArts@tukwilawa.gov.
- Artists not selected to create artwork will be considered for inclusion in the City of Tukwila Public Art Roster for future projects.
- Applicants must be a professional artist and must live in King County.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older and not a full-time student.
- Community groups or student groups can apply if the principal applicant and point of contact is a professional artist committed to leading the group project through to completion.
- Applicants cannot be a member of the Tukwila Arts Commission or an employee of the City of Tukwila.
IF YOU ARE SELECTED:
- Artists selected will be required to attend an orientation meeting where they will be provided with additional information on the process and expectations for creating a successful utility box artwork.
- Artists will develop a proposal including a concept sketch and written description for review and may receive requests for revision before final approval.
WRAP DESIGN GUIDELINES:
- Designs must be appropriate for display in public spaces and viewing by the general public.
- Designs must engage all sides of the box.
- Designs must not have been previously used for utility box art in King County.
2023 UTILITY BOX PROGRAM TIMELINE:
- April 20: Virtual Application Assistance Workshop for Prospective Artists, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- April 30: Deadline for application submissions, due by 12 a.m. (midnight)
- May 16: Notification of artist selection
- May 22-26 (TBD): Virtual orientation meeting for selected artists
- June 9: Artwork Proposal due for review
- June 30: Final design due as digital file
- July/August: Wrap production and installation
For questions contact Michael May at TukwilaArts@tukwilawa.gov.
- Please submit the following four items by email to TukwilaArts@tukwilawa.gov.
- Include Wrap followed by your Name in the subject line.
- We suggest sending items 1, 2, and 4 as PDF documents.
- Word documents are also acceptable.
- Emails over 10 MB in size may need to be sent in multiple messages.
- Please do not send zip files.
Short Written Responses (1)
- Submit responses to the following questions, in one page or less (combined).
- Include artist’s name, address, phone, email address and date of birth listed clearly at the top of the document.
- Name the file with the applicant’s Last Name, underscore, Responses. Example: Smith_Responses
Questions to be answered:
- How will your artwork and imagery translate successfully to this form of art?
- How will your artwork take into consideration multiple types of viewers – pedestrians, motorists, cyclists.
- What themes or inspiration inform your artwork? Indicate specific work samples that you have included as part of this application which are representative of the artwork you envision for this opportunity. If the work you intend to create for this opportunity differs from the work samples you have provided, clearly explain how it differs.
Professional Resume (2)
- Resume should not exceed 2 pages and should include: artist’s name, address, phone, email address.
- List most recent public art and/or art experience first.
- Name the file with applicant’s Last Name, underscore, Resume. Example: Smith_Resume
Work Samples (3)
Up to 10 digital images of the artist’s completed work.
- Submit JPEG files only (do not use GIF, TIFF, or other formats). File dimensions should be 2050 pixels on the longest side, 72 ppi – 300 ppi, maximum 5MB per file.
Resize images online for free (more options are available):
- Image Optimizer: Click “choose file” to upload image, select “normal”, input max width “2050”, max height “2050”, download resized image.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Express: Click “Resize a photo”, click “upload file” to upload image, input “2050”px for the longest side and the other dimension will auto adjust, at this point ignore the MB number, click “Resize Image”, slide quality level to control the file size for a max file size of 5MB.
- Shopify: Click “Resize your image”, click “upload now” to upload image, select the options for “medium” file size, download resized image.
Files must be titled with a number indicating the viewing order, followed by the applicant’s name.
- The numbers must correspond to the Work Sample Description Sheet.
- Use a “0” in front of single digit numbers and use only letters, numbers, and underscores. Example: 01_Smith.jpg; 02_Smith.jpg
If possible, your work samples should present artwork that is representative of the artwork you intend to propose for the design concept for this project.
- Artists may use up to two images to present concept sketches, but this is NOT a requirement and will NOT give artists any additional advantage. This is intended to be an optional, additional tool for communicating clearly what you intend to do for this project.
Work Sample Description Sheet (4)
Include Name in the upper left corner of every page.
Images numbered consecutively and listed in the order in which they are to be viewed, include:
- Title of artwork
- Dimensions (H” x W” x D”)
- Year work was completed
- Location (City, State. Neighborhood), if applicable
- Funding agency or owner/collection, if applicable
- Budget, if applicable
- Brief description of artwork (3 sentences maximum)
- If work is presented as part of a collaboration, explain your role in the larger project and credit design team or individual collaborators by name and role.
- Name the file with applicant’s Last Name, underscore, WorkSamples. Example: Smith_WorkSamples